Friday, December 14, 2007

Google Books and Reference

The future is always in the back of peoples minds and today I was wondering about the Google books project and how it might change the way I do reference. Already there have been times when a patron has been look for a certain play for example and I could not find in the library or library system but when I did a Google search the full text of the play was available online through Google Books. I think from a patron point of view this is much easier than checking an item out from the library and having to return it. Now they can simply download or print the document and they are free to make notes etc. Because of this I feel I should do these kinds of searches for patrons or explain to them this is a source they could try to use. At the same time I wonder if I am promoting something that will take patrons from the library. This is difficult for me.

No comments: